Wednesday, May 8, 2013

First Blog Entry - Transceiver Effort

Prelude

Back in 2008, I joined the Vienna Wireless Society because of a CW Transmitter Challenge that inspired me to try building a multi-band CW transmitter.   Although I didn't complete the transmitter in time, I did manage to build two FCC1/FCC2 DDS oscillator kits along with power amplifiers based on IRF510 Power FETs used in switching power supplies.

FCC1 alone + FCC1/FCC2 DDS Oscillator
 
3-30MHz Power Amplifier using IRF510




















What I learned during that effort was that there was a LOT more to a CW transmitter than an oscillator and a power amplifier.  I also learned that kits are not well maintained as the FCC-1 and FCC-2 programming was not well documented and the kit designer sadly passed away several years ago.

During my presentation at a VWS meeting last year, I presented my design-by-simulation effort for a CW transmitter based on a different DDS oscillator (DDS-60 - www.amqrp.com) programmed using a PICAXE 28x2.    I had hoped to complete the transmitter by QRPTTF 2013, but a combination of illness and other priorities got in the way.   Nevertheless, I am going to start blogging my transmitter efforts in the hope that others will follow this effort and learn from them - and from my mistakes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment